BBC Media Action – Myanmar
Title: Finance Assistant
Reports To: Finance Manager
Based: Yangon, Myanmar
Duration: 12 months fixed term, renewable
BBC Media Action uses various forms of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change around the world. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to produce creative programmes which inform and engage audiences around key development issues and to strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity. BBC Media Action’s projects include a mix of broadcast and digital content, face to face community outreach and capacity building that together inform, connect and empower audiences across Myanmar.
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Finance Assistant will assist the Finance Manager and Finance Officer on the BBC Media Action’s financial management, as well as supporting various project teams in their financial and administrative requirements. The following is a list of key duties of the Finance Assistant, but it is not exhaustive and is subject to change as required:
• Check reimbursement and expense vouchers with relevant supporting documents and approved advance requests prepared by project and other staff.
• Assist the Finance team in preparation of payment vouchers, advance request and other supporting documents for necessary approval.
• Ensure and review all transactions are completed with supporting documents and other requirements with accordingly donor guideline and BBC Media Action policies.
• Disperse cash and maintain the cash book in a timely fashion.
• Check daily cash balance and report to Finance Officer for necessary replenishment.
• Follow up with staff on outstanding advances and report to management.
• Assist the Finance team for payments, salary and reimbursement to staffs or suppliers.
• Assist the Finance team to maintain all financial documentation, including vouchers and receipts, for audit/donor requirements.
• Prepare the bank withdrawal authorization forms, as required.
• Translate the expenses of receipts/vouchers, as required.
Essential skills and experience
• At least 2 years’ working experience as Finance Assistant or similar position.
• Minimum university degree in any area and/with preferably finance and accounting knowledge.
• Computer skills including Microsoft Excel and Word.
• Knowledge and experience of accounting software.
• Strong communication & analytical skills.
• A high level of ethical commitment and trustworthiness.
• Experience working on tight deadlines.
• Interest in ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
Desirable skills and experience
• English speaking, comprehension and reading skills.
• Experience of working independently, asking for help when needed.
• Experience in the NGO sector as well as in an international organization is an advantage.
• Attention to detail – able to focus on specific elements of tasks to achieve a specific aim
• Teamwork – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
• Planning and organisation – ability to prioritise, taking into account all the relevant issues and factors, such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
• Flexibility – able to adapt and work effectively in a variety of situations, individuals or groups.
• Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure.
• Time and Stress Management – good time management and ability to prioritize a heavy workload.