BBC Media Action
Title: Project Manager
Department: BBC Media Action
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Based: Yangon, Myanmar Duration: 18 months
BBC Media Action uses various forms of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change around the world. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to produce creative programmes which inform and engage audiences around key development issues and to strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity. BBC Media Action is delivering an exciting and challenging new governance project, Myanmar Pyaw Ba (Myanmar Speaks) with funding from the multi-donor Joint Peace Fund. The project will create a 24-part factual documentary and discussion television programme and accompanying digital content that increases public understanding of support for a sustainable, inclusive peace for Myanmar. Sensitive to Myanmar’s ongoing peace process and decades of civil conflict, BBC Media Action content will inform and engage audiences across Myanmar, amplifying the voices of those affected by conflict and building understanding of how the country’s long-running conflicts impact on political stability and development nationwide. BBC Media Action is recruiting a Project Manager who will work as part of a team to coordinate and deliver the project. This position is dependent on funding being secured.
The Project Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the project is delivered on time, on budget and to high quality. The postholder will work with closely with production, research and other teams to ensure all aspects of the project are designed and delivered in accordance with BBC editorial guidelines and project objectives. The Project Manager will also work closely with the BBC Media Action senior management team to build relationships with distribution partners, government, media and civil society, stakeholders in the peace process and donors including the Joint Peace Fund team.
• Coordinate delivery of the project by working with production, research and other teams to ensure that project outputs are delivered on time, on budget and to highest BBC standards.
• Ensure external partners, including donors, stakeholders in the peace process, media and civil society are aware, informed and engaged in project activities.
• Support the production team to deliver media and communications outputs that are in line with BBC editorial guidelines and that fulfil the development objectives of projects
• Complete timely financial and narrative reporting for consortium partners and donors, in conjunction with other project and finance staff.
• Oversee contractual and logistics arrangement with consultants, advisors, suppliers and trainers.
• Work with Series Producer to ensure the security, health and safety of staff and contractors, and ensure compliance with all BBC safety rules and other relevant legal requirements.
• Develop and manage effective relationships with donors, stakeholders and partners.
• Contribute to the development of new business for BBC Media Action in Myanmar.
• Advise the Senior Management Team on partnerships and issues relevant to project.
Essential skills and experience
• Excellent spoken and written Myanmar and English language
• Experience working on peace-building in Myanmar and a high-level understanding of the current peace process.
• Ability to build internal and external relationships to support complex political, peace or development projects.
• Sound understanding of Myanmar media environment and audiences • Experience managing budgets, including designing, forecasting, monitoring, reporting on spend.
• High level of self-motivation, planning and organisation
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams
• Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
• Experience making presentations to colleagues, donors and stakeholders.
• Ability to work on own initiative and organise time effectively given competing deadlines.
• Solid experience working with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Experience working with media organizations in Myanmar.
• Understanding of how media can contribute to peace-building.
Competencies – The following competencies have been identified as key to success in the job:
• Problem Solving
• Imagination/Creative and Strategic Thinking
• Planning and Organising
• Managing Relationships and Flexibility