BBC Media Action
Title: Project Manager
Department: BBC Media Action
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Based: Yangon, Myanmar
Duration: 12 months –fixed term contract, full time with possible extension depending on funding
BBC Media Action uses various forms of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change around the world. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to produce creative programmes which inform and engage audiences around key development issues and to strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity.
The Project Manager will work as part of a team to deliver the LIFT migration project which includes research, production, outreach and training activities, working in 8 states and divisions in Myanmar as well as with international audiences in Thailand, Malaysia and key destination countries in ASEAN. The project will produce a 48-episode radio program plus digital media outputs providing information on migrationrelated risks and opportunities and financial management options for migrants and their families. The LIFT radio and online programs will use a wide range of creative formats with a mix of factual, entertainment, interviews, discussion, music, to support key learning points and to entertain audiences. Following the radio series, the project will work with local media partners in Myanmar’s states and divisions to coproduce a community discussion programme about migration for local communities. The project is funded by the Livelihood and Food Security Trust Fund (LIFT) from October 2017 to March 2019.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the successful management and delivery of the LIFT funded project. Working with the Senior Project Manager, the postholder will be responsible for ensuring that the project delivers on time, on budget and to high quality. The postholder will work with closely with production, training and outreach teams to ensure all aspects of the project are designed and delivered in accordance with BBC editorial guidelines and project objectives. The postholder will also be responsible for internal and external financial and narrative reporting and will coordinate engagement externally with donors and relevant project partners. The role involves building and maintaining relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including donors, INGO and civil society partners, broadcast and other media partners.
Manage the implementation of the LIFT project and coordinate project delivery with training, outreach and production teams to ensure that all project outputs are delivered on time, on budget and to high standards in line with BBC editorial guidelines
• Ensure external partners are aware, informed and engaged in LIFT capacity building, outreach and production activities.
• Support the LIFT production team to deliver media and communications outputs that are in line with BBC editorial guidelines and that fulfil the development objectives of projects
• Complete timely financial and narrative reporting for consortium partners and donors, in conjunction with other project and finance staff.
• Oversee contractual and logistics arrangement with consultants, advisors, suppliers and trainers.
• Work with Senior Project Manager to ensure the security, health and safety of staff and contractors, and ensure compliance with all BBC safety rules and other relevant legal requirements.
• Develop and manage effective relationships with donors, stakeholders and partners.
• Contribute to the development of new business for BBC Media Action in Myanmar.
• Advise Senior Project Manager and Management Team on partnerships and issues relevant to project.
Essential skills and experience
• Excellent spoken and written Myanmar and English language
• Experience managing media and/or international development projects.
• Experience working on the issue of migration in Myanmar or ASEAN region
• Sound understanding of Myanmar media environment and audiences
• Experience managing budgets, including designing, forecasting, monitoring and reporting on spend.
• High level of self-motivation, planning and organisation
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams
• Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
• Experience making presentations to colleagues, donors and stakeholders.
• Ability to work on own initiative and organise time effectively given competing deadlines.
• Solid experience working with Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Competencies – The following competencies have been identified as key to success in the job:
• Problem Solving
• Imagination/Creative and Strategic Thinking
• Planning and Organising
• Managing Relationships