BBC Media Action
Title: Research Officer
Department: BBC Media Action
Reports To: Research Manager
Based: Yangon, Myanmar
Duration: 12 months fixed term, full time (renewable).
BBC Media Action uses various forms of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change in some of the world’s poorest places. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to:
• Produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences
• Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure
BBC Media Action’s office in Myanmar opened in January 2013, and it is rapidly growing. Our current and future projects include radio and TV productions, community outreach, research and substantial media training components. BBC Media Action is recruiting for our research team – seeking senior research staff to support various research components within BBC Media Action projects.
Research Officer will be one of a team of researchers based at the BBC Media Action Yangon office, reporting directly to the Research Manager in Yangon. This will involve input into the design of qualitative and quantitative research instruments, carrying out fieldwork, conducting work with external research agencies where needed, conducting analysis and reporting as part of the research team and joining meetings to present research findings to internal staff.
• Work with the Senior Research Officer and Research Manager to design and deliver research in Myanmar, including development of tools, sampling, data collection and fieldwork logistics.
• Liaise with training and production teams to understand their research needs.
• Moderate focus groups, conduct in-depth interviews and monitor the quality of data collected.
• Liaise with agencies conducting fieldwork, including negotiations about sampling, analysis, field supervision, instrument development and administration, and data analysis.
• Implement data management and data security processes for qualitative and quantitative data.
• Analyse qualitative and quantitative data.
• Write reports and presentations, and present key findings to training and production teams, donors and other stakeholders.
• Design and facilitate training as required for fieldwork agencies and other researchers.
• Represent BBC Media Action at seminars or other external knowledge-sharing events, and participate in Research and Learning workshops.
• Support the Research Manager in monitoring research budgets and expenditure.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Criteria:
• Qualitative and/or quantitative research experience – including developing research instruments and analysing data.
• Conducting data collection – for example facilitating focus groups, interviewing or other data collection methods.
• Writing research reports and presenting findings to non-researchers.
• Ability to plan and conduct work with minimal supervision.
• Track record of delivering to deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to engage with non-research colleagues, donors and interviewees
• Strong IT skills, including Excel and Power Point
• Excellent written and fluent spoken English and Burmese
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience Criteria:
• Understanding of development issues in Myanmar.
• Experience of working with media.
• Spoken and written proficiency in one or more ethnic minority languages in Myanmar.
• Experience of using data analysis software packages such as SPSS or Atlas.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
• Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, process projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for problem solving and/or development.
• Managing Relationships: Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Team working.
• Communication: The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
• Imagination/Creative Thinking: Is able to transform creative ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
• Planning and Organising: Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
• Resilience: Can maintain person effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
• Flexibility: Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.