BBC Media Action
Title: Research Officer
Department: BBC Media Action
Reports To: Research Manager
Based: Yangon, Myanmar
Duration: 12 months fixed term, full time with possibility for renewal
BBC Media Action uses various forms of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change in some of the world’s poorest places. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to:
• Produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences
• Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure
BBC Media Action’s office in Myanmar opened in January 2013, and it is rapidly growing. Our current and future projects include radio and TV productions, community outreach, research and media training components. BBC Media Action is recruiting a Research Officer to support research activities for its projects in Myanmar.
The Research Officer will be involved with all aspects of research activities in Myanmar, including design of qualitative and quantitative research instruments, carrying out and supervising fieldwork, supporting the commissioning of research agencies where needed, conducting analysis and reporting and presenting research findings. The position is a development opportunity for an organised and motivated individual with existing experience in conducting research.
The Research Officer will be one of a team of researchers based at the BBC Media Action Yangon office, reporting directly to the Research Manager in Yangon. Technical guidance will also be provided by a Research Manager based remotely in London. The Research Officer post will be based in Yangon but will involve travel across Myanmar as projects required.
• Work with the Research Manager to design and deliver research in Myanmar, including development of tools, sampling, data collection and fieldwork logistics.
• Liaise with project and production teams to understand their research needs.
• Moderate focus groups, conduct in-depth interviews and monitor the quality of data collected.
• Liaise with agencies conducting fieldwork, including negotiations about sampling, analysis, field supervision, instrument development and administration, and data analysis.
• Implement data management and data security processes for qualitative and quantitative data.
• Analyse qualitative and quantitative data.
• Write reports and presentations, and present key findings to training and production teams.
• Design and facilitate training as required for fieldwork agencies and other researchers.
• Represent BBC Media Action at seminars or other external knowledge-sharing events, and participate in Research and Learning workshops.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Criteria:
• Qualitative and/or quantitative research experience – including developing research instruments and analysing data.
• Conducting data collection – for example facilitating focus groups, interviewing or other data collection methods.
• Writing research reports and presenting findings to non-researchers.
• Ability to plan and conduct work with minimal supervision.
• Track record of delivering to deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to engage with non-research colleagues, donors and interviewees
• Strong IT skills, including Excel and PowerPoint
• Excellent written and fluent spoken English and Burmese.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience Criteria:
• Understanding of development issues in Myanmar.
• Experience of working with media.
• Spoken and written proficiency in one or more ethnic minority languages in Myanmar.
• Experience of using data analysis software packages such as SPSS or Atlas.
• Analytical Thinking
• Managing Relationships and Teamwork
• Planning and Organisation