Reports To: Senior Projects Manager
Based: Yangon, Myanmar
Duration: 12 months
BBC Media Action uses various forms of media and communications to tackle poverty and contribute to long-term change around the world. To achieve this, we partner with civil society, local media and governments to produce creative programmes which inform and engage audiences around key development issues and to strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity.
We are seeking a Translator to undertake translation and transcription duties working across BBC Media Action projects which include media production on radio and TV, and media training activities. Current BBC Media Action projects include the Yaykyiyar program, funded by the Livelihood and Food Security Trust Fund (LIFT) to provide information on migration-related risks and opportunities and financial management options for migrants and their families, both in Myanmar and overseas. The core of the project is a weekly radio and online program and a media training component in 2018. The Tea Cup Diaries a weekly radio drama funded by USAID and aimed at promoting social cohesion on air until February 2018. BBC Media Action is also developing a peace project, funded by the Joint Peace Fund to be on air in 2018 producing TV and online media outputs.
The post holder will work alongside the production and project management teams in current projects, to provide translation support to international staff in BBC Media Action (including the Country Director, Senior Project Manager, Series Producers and international training consultants). The position will work with local production, outreach, and research teams to source content for translation such as weekly radio content, social media content as requested, translation of workshop or story idea discussions and translation support to visiting trainers. The post is based in Yangon with a small amount of travel on occasions for workshops, trainings or meetings.
• Translate weekly radio show scripts, from written Burmese or audio files into written English.
• Translate social media content for reporting and monitoring purposes as required.
• Provide simultaneous interpretation for staff on location and in office as needed.
• Translate and contribute to creative content development, discussions and work with production, project, training, and research teams as required.
• Work closely project management and senior management team to support donor reporting and communications as required.
• Provide translation support for international training consultants including translation in training workshops and translation of training resources and materials.
• Adhere to BBC Editorial Guidelines and BBC Industry Codes of Practice and the observance of BBC’s Health and Safety Regulations.
Essential skills and experience
• Excellent Burmese and English, both written and spoken.
• Proven ability to make decisions quickly and confidently and work effectively under pressure.
• Proven English writing skills
• Ability to communicate accurately, clearly and concisely.
• Ability to analyse content in Burmese and summarize it in English accurately.
• Experience working in development sector or with media.
• Ability and experience in simultaneous translation
Desirable Skills and Experience
• Understanding of development issues such as peace and conflict, social cohesion or migration related issues
• Understanding or experience working with media
Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
• Teamwork – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
• Planning and organisation – ability to prioritise, taking into account all the relevant issues and factors, such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
• Flexibility – able to adapt and work effectively in a variety of situations, individuals or groups.
• Time and Stress Management – good time management and ability to prioritize a heavy workload under pressure.
• Self-development – able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.